Wednesday, February 21, 2007

2-21 Pt. 1

STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS CAPSULE REVIEWS

Today, I’m going to just write my weekly reviews/notes as I read the books and drink my beer (Dogfishead 60 Min. IPA, cos, hey – vacation!) – I’ll add pictures and links when I get around to posting after it’s all said and done.

I love vacation week.

GREEN ARROW #71 – Supposed to arrive last week, but it was late. I only noticed because it was on my pull list but not in my pile at the store (NE Comics in Cambridge!) when I showed up, but here it is. A storyline featuring Batman, as GA is fighting the Red Hood (aka Robin II, Jason Todd). Batman, as usual, shows why he is the best hand-to-hand fighter in the DCU. Some good fight scenes, as GA fights the Red Hood and Bats fights some gentleman with red skin and what appear to be gray dreadlocks. Two side stories going on, as Speedy is ambushed by a group of teens working for…someone… in a decrepit building, and in what looks like planting the seeds for the next story, Drakon, Natas, and a Mr. Wilson wreak havoc on Alcatraz. The art is a bit cartoony, but the story is a least fun.

SPIDER MAN FAMILY #1 – appears to be a one-shot, probably aimed at moviegoers; we’ll see this on supermarket newsstands in a month or two. Includes two new stories, as well as reprints featuring – surprise – the Sandman and the Green Goblin. The first story – “Homesick” – is written by Sean McKeever (Spider-Man Loves Mary-Jane) with art by Terrell Bobbett (Blackpool). It’s an In-media-res story, featuring Spidey in the black costume – the symbiote (do we yet know if it’s the symbiote that’s returning?). OK, he’s dating Felicia Hardy. This is not in continuity. The second story is written by Fred Van Lente (Marvel Adventures) with art by Federica Manfredi, who, based on my googling, has worked strictly in Italy. This is a very fun story featuring the Black Cat and Hellcat, with interesting narration. Told primarily through art (only one page of dialogue), this is an enjoyable story that reads a lot like classic Spidey. The reprints are Untold Tales of Spider-Man #3 and Amazing Spider-Man #176 – if you don’t have the ASM story (Len Wein and Russ Andru), this may be worth it! I’m a sucker for anything by Busiek, so I enjoyed the Untold as well!

CATWOMAN #64 – Catwoman is one of those books that I don’t read regularly, but pick up from time to time to see what’s happening with the character. Catwoman in Metropolis! I guess we know where this will inevitably lead. Yup! Supes sighting in the sky, and in invasion of the Lexcorp building. A beautiful cover by Adam Hughes, and a fun Catwoman story, but not much else to yell about.

I’m done writing for a while – more later, including talk about Civil War #7, New Avengers: Illuminati #2, and Silent War #2.

No comments: