Monday, February 12, 2007

My Comic Book History Pt. 2 (the brief part)



By 1993 or so, I basically figured I wasn't going to get any girls, not for a while anyway, so what was the harm in hitting the comics again?

The true reason that my interest was rekindled was the opening of a comic book store in town. Where before we had to be content to pick and choose from off the newsstand, now my friends and I could choose from hundreds of titles, including indie publishers and Image, the new kid on the block.


Another element that helped was the presence of my neighbors, Matt and Eric. Eric was a fervent reader of Wolverine, and Matt was devoted to Spider-Man and Superman. By borrowing books from them (mostly Matt) I got to read the entire Maximum Carnage storyline, as well as the Death of Superman.


During this time period, I was very into the Silver Surfer. This lead to buying many back issues of his book, as well as eventually getting roped into the Infinity Gauntlet storyline (the first mega-crossover I followed). I was also heavily into the Fantastic Four. One issue in particular that stands out featured the Human Torch being attacked on the campus of Empire State University by Lyja and the Super Skrull. In the issue, he went "NOVA" and all but destroyed the school. Particularly notable about this issue was that it was one of the first "Gimmick Covers" I encountered. It was an all-white "3-D" (embossed) cover. Unfortunately, this was becoming a rule, not the exception, and I dropped comics again, as I couldn't afford to buy all the limited edition, chromium, etc.

No comments: