Monday, February 12, 2007

My Comic Book History Pt. 4 (the present day)


It was a day in the spring of 2006, and I saw that the Age of Apocalypse was being collected in trade paperback format. This was a story I had missed out on as it had been published just prior to my last foray into comics. The story is split into four trades, and I made it my mission to buy them all. Parts one, two and four, I was able to purchase at the bookstore, but I just couldn't track down the third part. Normally I'd just go to Amazon and buy it online, but I couldn't wait! So, predictably, I went to the comic book store. While I was there, I picked up an issue of Wizard, and it was all over...

Just as they had done ten years earlier with the Onslaught debacle, Marvel was again gearing up for another mega-event, CIVIL WAR. It was intriguing, so I went out of my way to pick up a few of the prelude issues, and I loved where the story was going. There were so many directions they could go, so many issues they could explore. Of course, they have severely dropped the ball - it's been a decent story, but lacking in cohesion, and has ignored a lot of great potential ideas.

Now, I'm a regular at the Harvard Square New England Comics. I've never been a true regular at a comic store before, with a pull list and all, but I love it. I thrill in going every week or so, and in addition to my subscriptions, browsing the racks to see what LOOKS good - what new artist is on a new book, or what trades are being re-released that I missed out on the first time around.

I still buy a lot of Marvel, but I also get a lot of DC. I am loving 52, and Loveless, among others.

What I hope to do is offer my opinions of current books, as well as issues in the comic book world, and interact with people. I hope to get some readers of my own, and be part of a community where we can share ideas about our pastime.

No comments: